Using Android App Bundles and push to the Google Play Store

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. We currently have our workflow set up to deploy an apk to Google Play Store when it has finished building. To reduce the size of the apk download for the user, Google now recommends using Android App Bundles (.aab). Has anyone set this up in Bitrise to push an .aab to the playstore who used to push apks? And if so, do you have it also create an apk to use for the Amazon Store, or do you produce that apk locally? Any direction / guides would be amazing. Thank you!

Hello there, you can create .aab files with the gradle runner step, just set the command to bundleRelease
and in the export config tab set the APK file include filter to *.aab instead of *.apk
the builded bundle will still be under the $BITRISE_APK_PATH env var tho :upside_down_face:

Thank you for the reply @fehersanyi-bitrise; much appreciated. I currently use Android Build integration to build. Are you saying I’ll need to use the Gradle Runner integration instead? Thanks.

Yes exactly, for this matter at least. :upside_down_face:

Fantastic. Got it working. Really appreciate your help! Thank you.

1 Like

You are welcome! :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.