AdHoc provisioning profile does not allow app to be installed on device

I have a single repo using Xamarin to build iOS and Android apps. I have a workflow with my Certificate and Profile installer step configured to download my iOS Distribution certificate and my AdHoc Distribution Provisioning Profile.

My workflow runs fine and builds successfully, yet when I click on the iOS app install link, the resulting Bitrise page informs me “This app is not allowed to be installed on this device.” and displays my device UDID. I have triple-checked that my test device’s UDID is selected in the Provisioning Profile on our Apple Developer Portal. I have checked the build logs and the workflow is definitely downloading the correct provisioning profile (I can even see the device UDID in the provisioning profile in the log!).

I’m not sure if this is a Bitrise issue or an Apple issue. Can anyone shed some light why I am getting this error?

EDIT: another piece of the puzzle is that I have another workflow which is configured to use our iOS Development Certificate and Development Provisioning Profile. The same device UDID is checked in the configuring of the development provisioning profile. Yet, when I run this workflow, I can install the build without getting the error page described above.

Hi @clee46,
thanks for the report!
Could you please send your AdHoc build’s log file on the bitrise.io on site chat?

Based on our conversation with @clee46:

We found in the attached log, that xamarin-archive step were using our default development code sign files:

Code Signing Key: "iPhone Developer: Bitrise Bot (REDACTED)" (REDACTED) Provisioning Profile: "BitriseBot-Wildcard" (REDACTED) Bundle Id: REDACTED

This means the app was signed with our default code sign files.

To totally disable our default code sign files, clear the default_certificate_url, default_certificate_passphrase, default_provisioning_profile_url inputs of the certificate-and-profile-installer step.

3 Likes