Builds failing since linux image updates

My builds have started failing on the (non-LTS) linux VM since the recent changes but still run fine on Mac.

Its an electron app built on the two platforms and I already use the nvm step to ensure we’re pinned to node v7.

The module html-minifier hasn’t changed in over a month but the following command started failing on the linux build today:

html-minifier --input-dir ./src --output-dir ./dist --file-ext html --collapse-whitespace --conservative-collapse --remove-comments

results in the error:

error: unknown option '--file-ext'

The only thing left to explore is that the yarn upgrade 0.24.6 > 0.27.5 has added a yarn bug which is affecting npm script parsing/execution on linux.

Is there a way to force the old VM image so I can test that the VM change is actually what’s caused it?

1 Like

Hi @timfish,

That step is not maintained by us - are you sure that the Node version is actually the one you want? Can you please add this line to your script, right before you’d call html-minifier:

node --version

Note: our current recommended way of handling installing the right Node version is: How can I downgrade NodeJS? / How to install a specific NodeJS version?

You can download older images from Docker and run it locally on your Mac/PC (related guide: Running your build locally in Docker - Bitrise Docs )

Yep, I already checked the versions are correct so the nvm step appears to be working for now but I will migrate over:

+ yarn versions
yarn versions v0.27.5
{ http_parser: '2.7.0',
  node: '7.10.0',
  v8: '5.5.372.43',
  uv: '1.11.0',
  zlib: '1.2.11',
  ares: '1.10.1-DEV',
  modules: '51',
  openssl: '1.0.2k',
  icu: '58.2',
  unicode: '9.0',
  cldr: '30.0.3',
  tz: '2016j' }

I did try to set the previous image buy putting bitrise/docker-android:v2017_07_01-07_18-b630 in the bitrise config but got an error.

Unable to find image 'bitrise/docker-android:v2017_07_01-07_18-b630' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: repository bitrise/docker-android not found: does not exist or no pull access.

ah, I was looking for bitriseio/android-ndk:v2017_07_01-07_30-b570

1 Like

That’s the one :blush:

Tip: if you don’t need the ndk bits, feel free to use the Android one (https://hub.docker.com/r/bitriseio/docker-android/) (instead of the android-ndk). That’s significantly smaller :wink:

I dont actually need any android stuff so a basic ubuntu16 with bitrise-cli would probably suffice.

bitriseio/android-ndk:v2017_07_01-07_30-b570
added 12m to the build
Using bitriseio/docker-android:v2017_07_01-07_18-b630
added 11m to the build

So there isn’t much in it. Do you want to add either of them to your cache for a while? :laughing:

Both did fix my issue though so I’ll probably do some more testing on my linux laptop and depending on the results report a bug in yarn!

It turns out yarn is putting the wrong version in .bin.

Here is the offending yarn bug:

1 Like

Good catch @timfish!

Did you find a fix for this?

Its marked as high priority bug and somebody has submitted a PR to fix it.

Until this is fixed, the current workarounds are:

• Use the older VM images:
    bitriseio/android-ndk:v2017_07_01-07_30-b570 or bitriseio/docker-android:v2017_07_01-07_18-b630

• Manually downgrade yarn to a known-good version?

curl -o- -L https://yarnpkg.com/install.sh | bash -s -- --version 0.24.6
export PATH="$HOME/.yarn/bin:$PATH"
  • Don’t use yarn
npm run ...
1 Like

Update
Its fixed in this pre-release version:

Great solutions, thanks for sharing @timfish! :slight_smile:

If that will be available on their apt server this week then the weekend VM/Stack updates will include it :wink:

Thanks again @timfish for all the infos!