macOS project auto provisioning

Hey, I have a macOS project that I’m trying to set up to run unit tests. I had uploaded the development certificate and provisioning profile in the Code Signing tab but the Xcode Test for Mac step failed with:

Provisioning profile "Mac Team Provisioning Profile: xxx.xxxxxx.xxxxx" doesn't include the currently selected device "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

The selected device in question appeared to be the one used to run the tests on Bitrise. Of course my provisioning profile doesn’t have it. And I can’t possibly know all the devices that could be used by Bitrise to run my tests. So I assume I need an auto provision step.

I didn’t find a macOS auto provision step but tried iOS Auto Provision with App Store Connect API, reasoning that iOS and macOS projects provisioning work the same way. However this yields the error:

Checking development provisioning profiles for 1 bundle id(s)
No profiles for platform: macOS

Am I heading in the right direction? If I can’t provision automatically, is there a manual alternative?

Or is there a way to run the tests without requiring provisioning?

Hey steveroy,

You can manually upload profiles and certificates using the certificate and profile installer step.

Thank you,

Thi

Thanks Thi,

I gave this another shot. When using the Certificate and profile installer step, I get the same error as above in the Xcode Test for Mac step. Which is how I ended up considering the iOS Auto Provision step in the first place. But if that’s not the solution, and both methods fail with the same error, maybe something else is amiss.

I’m curious about the error:

error: Provisioning profile “Mac Team Provisioning Profile: xxx.xxxxxx.xxxxx” doesn’t include the currently selected device “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx” (identifier xxxxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Why is it complaining about a provisioning profile for a Mac app? Shouldn’t it just need the development certificate to run the app locally?

I was reading Getting Started with MacOS apps and noticed this bit:

Running Xcode tests and deploying their results to Bitrise do not require any code signing files.

There is one exception: if you set a team for your project locally, in Xcode, then Xcode will ask for that team’s Developer certificate before running the test.

This is exactly my case: I have a team set in my project. So in Code Signing I do have my development certificate uploaded. Is that not how to resolve that?

It depends on the project, and if you are using the Certificate and Profile installer step, it may require both development and distribution to authenticate.

Do you have a build URL?

Can you also enable support access?

Thank you,

Thi

Hi Thi,

I did and here you go:
https://app.bitrise.io/build/2317cd9a07e386bb#?tab=log

I had both the development and distribution certificates but the last time I tried I removed the latter. It didn’t work either way.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.