Cache Debian package installs

I have to install a bunch of packages with
sudo apt-get install …
It would be really great to be able to cache what’s been installed – it would make me stop wishing for the ability to set up a custom VM. It seems to me that one could use an overlay filesystem so that all changes made by the package installations are captured and can be cached. I believe Docker uses an overlay filesystem. If that’s true then the feature already exists on your VMs and it would “just” be a matter of configuring it and using it.

Great idea!

Although… Using a custom docker image built on top of ours is pretty much the same, as caches have to be downloaded too.

If you have any examples how this could be done, please let us know!
The current solution is to build your own Docker image on top of ours, which is roughly the same of what you described here AFAIK.

How to create your own Docker image on top of ourse: http://devcenter.bitrise.io/docker/use-your-own-docker-image/

If you have any questions, or you have any comments just let us know!

Thanks for your answer. The problem has not become acute enough for me to sink time into it yet, but I expect you are right about making a custom Docker image. I don’t know enough about how these things work to be certain, but I believe it’s merely a different way of packaging the same solution I suggested. In other words, you’ve already solved the problem!
I will let you know how it turns out if I end up doing it.
Thanks again,
Steve

1 Like