[brew-install] brew update fails

Bitrise Build Issue Report template

Description of the issue

When using the brew-install step, brew update fails with the error the remote end hung up unexpectedly.

Environment:

Stack MacOS 10.14
Xcode 10.3.x
Brew install 0.9.0

Reproducibility

When using the brew-install step, brew update fails with the error the remote end hung up unexpectedly.

Local reproduction

Cannot be reproduced locally.

Local reproduction: Linux / Android (docker based) stack builds

Cannot be reproduced locally.

Build log

$ brew update
error: RPC failed; curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
Error: Fetching /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask failed!

Found a similar issue here: https://github.com/bitrise-steplib/steps-brew-install/issues/5.

I believe Homebrew was experiencing some downtime for selective users this afternoon. I wasn’t able to brew update on my own machine for about 2 hours this afternoon but it’s working again.

Still not working on Bitrise though.

Hi @jean.mainguy , could you please send me a build URL that contains the error message so I can see exactly what’s going wrong?

It happens on a private repository, do you want the logs instead?

we’re also seeing this with swiftlint and soundflower brew packages… it seems really intermittent

it is not related to any specific package, brew update fails at the git clone step.

yeah we are getting the same error:

$ brew update
error: RPC failed; curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly

The issue still persists here:

[34;1m$ brew updatee[0m
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-cask/': transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
Error: Fetching /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask failed!

Same, I still have this issue while trying to install SwiftLint despite the incident status saying it should be stable now.

We’re unfortunately still not able to reproduce the issue in-house, not on our own machines or on our build VMs. Unfortunately this appears to be a performance issue on either the homebrew or cask maintainer’s CDN. There’s not really much we can do to help a resolution along, unfortunately.

We’ve seen people have luck running their brew installs and updates in dedicated script steps, but this is most likely just down to the intermittency of the connectivity issue itself.

Regardless, reporting your brew issues here is helpful and appreciated, as it’s our best way to gauge if these issues on the brew side are continuing, so thank you.

Still facing this issue, all builds are failing because of this. Installing brew locally works fine. Frustrating…

Is anyone having continued issues with this today?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.