Xcode 9 Build Failing: [app] requires a provisioning profile with the Push Notifications feature

With Xcode 9, I’m starting to see these weird errors in building

"2017-06-28 09:55:46.686 xcodebuild[4420:19267] [MT] IDEDistribution: Step failed: <IDEDistributionSigningAssetsStep: 0x7fd3a9fc5960>: Error Domain=IDEDistributionSigningAssetStepErrorDomain Code=0 "Locating signing assets failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Locating signing assets failed., IDEDistributionSigningAssetStepUnderlyingErrors=(
"Error Domain=IDEProvisioningErrorDomain Code=9 \"\"Associate.app\" requires a provisioning profile with the Push Notifications feature.\" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=\"Associate.app\" requires a provisioning profile with the Push Notifications feature., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Select a provisioning profile for the \"Default\" build configuration in the project editor.}"
)}
error: exportArchive: "Associate.app" requires a provisioning profile with the Push Notifications feature.
Error Domain=IDEProvisioningErrorDomain Code=9 ""Associate.app" requires a provisioning profile with the Push Notifications feature." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription="Associate.app" requires a provisioning profile with the Push Notifications feature., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Select a provisioning profile for the "Default" build configuration in the project editor.}"

The uploaded certificate/provisioning profile has push notification support and worked fine in Xcode 8. Using the selected cert/provisioning profile works fine from the Xcode 9 IDE.

1 Like

Hi @Asynchrony,

Can you please send the build’s bitrise.io URL to us in email or through the onsite chat? We’ll check it ASAP!

Hi @viktorbenei -

I first did send a chat, but no one has responded. Thanks for your help.

Did you get a response since? If not, just let me know here @Asynchrony and I’ll search for the ticket in our support system!

And in any case, sorry for the inconvenience; quite a few from our team are on vacation, response times might be longer than usual, but we’ll definitely respond, as soon as possible! :slight_smile:

Hi @viktorbenei

No response yet. I sent a support message yesterday at about this time. Thanks.

Found the ticket, we’ll reply in a couple of minutes!

What was the solve here?

@samjarman I found the related discussion, this was the reported solution:

I just updated the Bitrise step versions, re-exported the export plist, and re-selected PROVISIONING_PROFILE by checking “automatic” management in Xcode and unchecking it again. This magic dance seems to have resolved the issue, whatever it was. Thanks for your help.

About “re-exported the export plist”: when you do an export in Xcode 9 (when you generate and get an IPA, from the Organizer) it generates an Export Options PLIST file. Should be in the same directory as the generated IPA.

That export options plist file describes the configuration which was used for that archive. You can copy the content of this file into the Xcode Archive step’s related input (Custom export options plist content input - https://github.com/bitrise-io/steps-xcode-archive/blob/master/step.yml#L81). If you provide the plist content then the step won’t try to auto generate one, it’ll use that one directly, which means Xcode should do the exact same export what you did in Xcode 9 IDE.

@viktorbenei - is there a solution for when using the XamarinArchive step instead of the Xcode Archive? I am receiving the same error as the folks above since a few days ago when exporting my xamarin archive, this was previously working O.K.

@clintvanquis the same should work there, but please create a #issues:build-issues report and we’ll check it ASAP! :slight_smile:

Thank you @viktorbenei - have done as requested.

1 Like

Thank you @clintvanquis! :slight_smile:

Hi,

sorry for the issues with the Xcode Archive & Export for iOS step and thanks for all the reports, and lettings us test with your projects.

We released a new version (2.3.3) of Xcode Archive & Export for iOS step.

Changes:

• fixed scheme - application target mapping
  • fixed target - provisioning profile mapping
  • handle if archive used NON xcode managed profile
  • prefer archive team, if multiple code sign groups found

Please also update the Certificate and Profile Installer step to the new version: 1.9.1.

1 Like