Unable to set default stack in bitrise.yml

Hi!

According to the bitrise.yml format specification it should be possible to set the default stack for an app using the meta property on app level. However, this doesn’t seem to work. Setting it on the root level doesn’t work either. Changing the default stack on bitrise.io doesn’t change bitrise.yml at all.
The only option seems to be setting it on each workflow in our bitrise.yml. This is doable, but quite annoying.

Our use case is that we want some git branches to use different stacks, mostly when we upgrade to support a new Xcode version in our iOS project. Using bitrise.yml from the repository is really great for this, but it would be even better if we could set the default stack in it instead of having to update the metadata for all our different workflows (and still having an old default stack on bitrise.io).

Likely related to this feature request, although it seems like a bug to me if I understand the specification correctly.

Kind regards,
Jacob

Hello,

You are correct. The default stack is not stored in the bitrise.yml, although as you mentioned, you can specify a workflow specific stack in the bitrise.yml file. We definitely understand this may not be optimal, especially when storing the bitrise.yml in your repo.

We do have a ticket open to investigate this issue and determine the best way to address this.

Thanks for letting us know!

Thanks for clearing that up, I’ll keep an eye on the changelogs for an easier way to do this in the future.

It might be a good idea to update https://github.com/bitrise-io/bitrise/blob/master/_docs/bitrise-yml-format-spec.md#app-properties though, as it specifically has a non-working example that “stores the default stack for the given project”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.