Stack deprecations - Xcode 6.4, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2

Stack deprecation policy was updated at:

The following stacks are now deprecated and are scheduled to be removed when Xcode 9 (the final, non beta version) is released (expected to happen this September):

• Xcode 8.2.x
  • Xcode 8.1.x
  • Xcode 8.0.x
  • Xcode 6.4

Deprecation is also presented on the bitrise.io website, everywhere the stack’s title / description is presented, including the stack selector.

If you have any issue or feedback related to these deprecations please leave a comment!

Is there any possibility that you could keep XCode 8.2.x for a grace period? XCode 8.3 had breaking changes from 8.2, specifically removing support for Swift 2.3, meaning apps build with the 8.X series are not necessarily buildable with 8.3.x.

We’re converting our swift code base to Swift 3, but removing support for XCode 8.2 from Bitrise will mean that we won’t be able to rebuild apps we’ve got live out in the field.

1 Like

Sure. For how long, what would you prefer/suggest? @gavinheavyside

That’s awesome. We hope to have our Swift 3 conversion done in time for the XCode 9 release, but if you could keep XCode 8.2 around until the end of the year that would de-risk our projects.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable - I’ll change the stack’s deprecation to Jan 2018

Thanks for the feedback @gavinheavyside! :wink:

Fantastic, thanks so much.

1 Like

Changed the deprecation notice in the Stack’s title & description, should be out soon on bitrise.io (waiting for PR review :D)

Xcode 8.2.x, on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) - DEPRECATED, will be removed in January 2018

This is biting me as we speak and I have to move the project off Bitrise as a result. There’s a fundamental shift between XCode 8.2 and 8.3. Any ideas around this @viktorbenei?

@altruly do you plan to upgrade the project from Xcode 8.2 to 8.3 or newer? Or is this a legacy project you don’t ever intend to upgrade?

We’ll definitely try to do even more warnings the next time we deprecate a stack, sorry for the inconvenience.