Stack deprecations effective January 11, 2020 - Xcode 8.3, 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 stacks

stack-updates
#1

The following stacks are now deprecated and scheduled to be removed after January 11, 2020:

  • Xcode 8.3
  • Xcode 10.0
  • Xcode 10.1 (POSTPONED)
  • Xcode 10.2 (POSTPONED)

Users on these stack types will be migrated as follows:

  • Xcode 8.3 :arrow_right: Xcode 9.4
  • Xcode 10.0 :arrow_right: Xcode 10.3
  • Xcode 10.1 :arrow_right: Xcode 10.3
  • Xcode 10.2 :arrow_right: Xcode 10.3

Deprecation is also presented on the bitrise.io website, everywhere the stack’s title / description is presented, including the stack selector.

You can read more about our stack update and deprecation policies in the topic below:

If you have any issue or feedback related to these deprecations please leave a comment!

1 Like

#2

We noticed Xcode 10.1 and 10.2 are due to be deprecated early January. Unfortunately, we are supporting some applications on these stacks until mid-year 2020. Is there any way you could delay these deprecations? Xcode 10.2 is more important that 10.1, but ideally we’d have access to both stacks through July 2020. Thank you.

0 Likes

#3

We have a service release ahead with XCode 10.2.
Can’t extend support?

0 Likes

#4

Hi, We have some apps still on Swift 3.2 that requires XCode10.1. We are migrating to Swift 5 but this is a significant work and the apps are not ready yet. Please can you postpone the removal of the Xcode 10.1 stack? Thanks.

0 Likes

#5

What’s the reason to keep Xcode 10.2?

For 10.1 @adalbertlegion mentioned Swift 3.2 support, which sounds reasonable.

We’ll definitely extend the deprecation a bit, so we can gather enough information, please everyone share your feedback here with us if you need any of the deprecated stacks!

For now Xcode 10.1 seems to be reasonable to keep - @dip-developer @markshiz_knowink what’s the reason to keep 10.2, what’s blocking your migration to Xcode 10.3?

1 Like

#6

We have started the migration process away from 10.1, but we unfortunately also have apps using Xcode 10.1 and would be very grateful if the deadline could be extended. An extension until the end of July 2020 as mentioned by @markshiz_knowink would be more than enough for us to complete this work.

Our upgrade will go straight to Xcode 11, so hopefully wouldn’t have this issue again for some time.

1 Like

#7

Because we have a release in January.
I overlooked being deprecated.
The project is a one year development and cannot be changed at this time.
If support is difficult, please let me know other alternatives.

1 Like

#8

Good question, glad you asked. Our process is admittedly a bit different from others, but we actually release many minor versions of our apps. These are certified by another vendor for use. While our own development process continues and we are developing on the latest version of Xcode, whenever one of these customers needs a bug fixed, we provide a minor version update. In order to prevent having to run a regression test, we re-release these older branches on older versions of Xcode on an on-going basis. Of course, eventually (every year or so) we do a major version upgrade on everyone, this is our process. For a good chunk of last year we were using Xcode 10.2 as development branch, therefore, it corresponds to a bunch of stuff we are supporting in the field at the moment.

The ability to use these many versions of Xcode and have them supported is a huge value add for us. So having the platform we use forcing us into the latest version of Xcode would diminish the value of Bitrise considerably for us.

Hope this explains our situation. Admittedly, I know we are a little unique in our deployment strategy.

1 Like

#9

Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback, it really helps us a lot!

We postponed the deprecation of the Xcode 10.1 and 10.2 stacks, though we still have to discuss what the new date will be, just wanted to ensure you these won’t be deleted in the coming days/week.

When assessing the new deprecation date it’d be really helpful if you could share any technical issue with the Xcode 10.2 -> 10.3 migration @dip-developer @markshiz_knowink . Is there any technical reason why the code can’t be compiled with 10.3 instead of 10.2?

2 Likes

#11

It has become “remove”. Could you enable xcode10.2.x?
すみません。

0 Likes

#12

Although technically possible, it was a big release and I didn’t have time.
As soon as possible, please.

sorry
That is my mistake.
Xcode10.2 was enabled.

1 Like

#13

Essentially we have to wait for those applications on Xcode 10.2 out in the field to be end-of-life. Otherwise we’d need to port to the new compiler and run a regression test on the app for the older app version. We are normally running regression tests on the latest compiler, so we don’t have time/resources for that. We only sometimes issue builds for these older branches --mainly in the case that a bug was missed and the client needs an update. Since our app is highly configurable, we make versions of the app with specific clients in mind and do extensive testing for them, so that’s why we can’t just give them the latest build on the latest Xcode/compiler. It’s all risk mitigation.

1 Like