Signing for "application" requires a development team

I’m having this error in my build at step ionic-archive

Code Signing Error: Signing for “rapsheet” requires a development team.
Select a development team in the Signing & Capabilities editor.
Code Signing Error: Code signing is required for product type ‘Application’ in SDK ‘iOS 13.2’

I feel like I just had this error last month and managed to fix it by going through the codesign tool doc upload process all over again, now the issue is back and doing so does not fix the issue.

• I’m able to archive successfully using Xcode latest
  • My build steps are on latest version
  • Rebuilding does not help

The build: https://app.bitrise.io/build/e6a6462f30238989#?tab=log

Thank you.

Hi @parliament718!

Thanks for the well-crafted report :slight_smile: There are two simple problems here:

The first one is that you have the wrong code signing step in the form of iOS Auto Provision, since that an automatic solution that won’t work with Cordova or Ionic projects, unfortunately. You need the manual step, the Certificate and Profile Installer.

The second problem is that you have this step in a wrong position. Your code signing step has to be placed before the archive process, for the archive to succeed.

Hope this helps! You can find more info here: Getting started with Ionic/Cordova apps | Bitrise DevCenter

Thanks for the help. I’m quite surprised by what you’re saying (that my steps are wrong and this won’t work for cordova project) since I have successful builds just last month and I have not changed anything in the build process.

For ex: https://app.bitrise.io/build/c4ba931af3be0840#?tab=log
Uses ios-auto-provision placed after ionic-archive:

✓ | ionic-archive | 8.8 min |
±–±--------------------------------------------------------------±---------+
| ✓ | ios-auto-provision | 1.2 min

I’ll try what you’re saying but how can that be the case?

Hmm, that’s right. Do you store your code signing identities in your repository by any chance? Or how does the Ionic Archive access them here?

@bitce Yes, I keep my code signing identities in my repo at the root in the folder codesigndoc_exports created by the tool. I did not realize they were used by the build process, and consequently I did not check in the new versions after re-running the codesign tools. I got excited and thought pushing the changes would fix my build issue, but it did not :cry:

I’d really prefer to fix my build process instead of changing how it works, please advise how I can get it working as it did before.

Also I tried what you suggeested but it still failed with the same error:

✓ | certificate-and-profile-installer | 9.68 sec |
±–±--------------------------------------------------------------±---------+
| x | ionic-archive (exit code: 1) | 10.1 min |

Code Signing Error: Signing for “rapsheet” requires a development team. Select a development team in the Signing & Capabilities editor.

Code Signing Error: Code signing is required for product type ‘Application’ in SDK ‘iOS 13.2’

Build 103: https://app.bitrise.io/build/7ba6e08f7bd3720a#?tab=log

My issue is resolved… until next time it breaks for no reason
Thanks

Hi @parliament718!

Glad to hear you managed to resolve this! I really understand your point, but due to your choice of configuration here, this is something people with access to the repository (and change history) could debug.

In case something like this does happen again, I’d recommend changing the approach to one of the recommended ones to make it more transparent and easier to troubleshoot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Just some updates on using iOS Auto Provision and coding signing for Cordova/Ionic projects!

and

Hope this might help!

cathy

1 Like