Include Commit Hash for Manual Builds

Description of the feature request

I notice when I manually trigger a build off a branch name that the “Commit Hash” field isn’t specified. This requires us to manually copy/paste that to the “Commit Message”. Is there a way that Bitrise can find and populate that even for manual builds?

Use case / for what or how I would use it

We very much like to have a connected source of truth where a PR/merge linked a git commit linked to a Bitrise.io build is all self referential as we audit and compare builds. However, if you add commits to a PR that you need to keep separate from a mainline (e.g. staging or production) and want to see how it looks, you have to manually login to github and trace down the exact time of the build kickoff against the commit log. This is not only a bunch of extra steps, it’s error prone if you are triggering a few manual builds in a row.

Thanks for the feature request! Make sure to click the vote button though to get the voting started. :wink:

To achieve the same effect as specifying commit hash in build trigger parameters you have to figure out that hash locally and trigger build using API.
It cannot be done on Bitrise side because branch head may change in the meantime (between triggering and executing git clone step in the workflow).

It cannot be done on Bitrise side because branch head may change in the meantime (between triggering and executing git clone step in the workflow).

Hi Koral. Even more important to grab the exact commit at the exact moment the checkout completed and use that value versus a commit message entry, which may be out of date if someone commits something else immediately after! I guess this is still solveable by checking the logs and even putting a script post clone to just report out the git hash. I may just do that if this request is a no go.