Bitrise build fails in install-missing-android-tools@2.3.4 step

Bitrise Build Issue Report template

Description of the issue

Android Build fails in install-missing-android-tools@2.3.4 step.

One clue of this issue is " strict-version-matcher-plugin"
which is enabled in google service plugin 3.3.0. (see the log)

error occurs:
play-services-plugins/DependencyInspector.java at master ¡ google/play-services-plugins ¡ GitHub (118line)

I already have “maven { url ‘https://dl.bintray.com/android/android-tools/’ }” in my project level build.gradle file.

updated: run “./gradlew dependencies” in local machine also have same error. Maybe allProjects{} in project level build.gradle file have problem with strict version matcher. I also report this issue in strict version matcher github repo.
When I use “./gradlew app:dependencies” have no problem.
Thanks!

Environment:

Issue occurs install-missing-android-tools step.
Local build work well and only fails on bitrise build.

install-missing-android-tools v2.3.4 (change version does not help)

Reproducibility

• Does a “Rebuild” help? (You can trigger a rebuild from the Build’s page, by clicking the “Rebuild” button in the top right corner of a finished build) : NO
  • Does a rebuild without caches help? (You can remove the Cache:Pull and Cache:Push steps temporarily to not to use the cache, or you can delete all the caches on the Settings tab of the app. : NO
  • Does the issue happen sporadically, or every time? : every time
  • Does upgrading the build Step to the latest version help? : NO
  • When did the issue start? : May be after I upgrade androidGradlePlugin version to 3.3.0-rc02 but not sure this is real problem.

Local reproduction

issue was not reproduced in my mac local machine

Local reproduction: Linux / Android (docker based) stack builds

I could not try this right now.

Build log

Hello there @iam1492!

Could you run a script before gradle runner with the content:
./gradle tasks --all --stacktrace

and please send the url to that build as well.

Hello @fehersanyi-bitrise !

Looks like success to pass the script. But failed to pass "install-missing-android-tools@2.3.4 (exit code: 1) "

I think the issue happen in “dependencies - Displays all dependencies declared in root project ‘src’” task

It’s 1:00am here and time to sleep. So please give me any help. Thanks!

@fehersanyi-bitrise Any update on this issue?

Hy @iam1492!

Sorry for the late response. :frowning:
is the issue still there, or were you able to solve it?
if not, could you try the previous step version maybe?
if that does not help could you please enable support user on the settings tab?

I still have issue.
What do you mean previous step version? or support user.
As I told above, my issue is clear that ./gradlew dependencies commend which used in “install-missing-android-tools” make build error.
Because it also makes error locally but actually I don’t need ./gradlew dependencies commend in local. Instead I use ./gradlew app:dependencies
Error shows because I have " allprojects {…}" in my project level build.gradle file.
You can also test your any of android project which use 3.3.0 gradle plugin and contains " allprojects {…}" in project level build.gradle file.
If I remove install-missing-android-tools in build step, every thing goes well.
Can I remove it?

You can change step version in workflow editor:

You can enable it in app settings tab:

Nowadays in most cases this step is not needed.
Android Gradle Plugin 2.2.0 (released in September 2016) or newer installs missing SDK components automatically.
If you don’t need other version of NDK than current one provided by stack then NDK installation feature from that step is also useless for you.
Third feature provided by this step is accepting Android SDK licenses. Licenses are accepted weekly at the time of deploying new version of the stack, so virtually there is nothing more to accept during build. However if Google changes some license surprisingly then without this step your build will be failing until Bitrise team (hot)fixes the stack. IIRC that happened one time in the history.

Regardless of your case, it looks like a bug in step which should be fixed.

2 Likes

@koral. I think in this case, I can safely remove “install-missing-android-tools”.
And also this issue(https://github.com/google/play-services-plugins/issues/38) seems like similar problem I have.
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.