Virtualenv install fails

Hi there, We started to experiencing weird issues with pip and python from this week on. The jobs that use to work last week started failing.

The script phase just does this:
pip install virtualenv

This is the error:
Install virtualenv (exit code: 127)

Nothing else was changed on the configuration.

Related:

More on this:
If you switch from pip to pip3 command and run it with pip3 install virtualenv, we get this error:

Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Library/Python/3.7'

Consider using the `--user` option or check the permission

We experienced a similar issue with the newest Xcode 12.4 stack. python3 and pip3 are not in sync anymore.

Thats why we switched to python3 -m pip to install our python3 packages.

Maybe python -m pip install virtualenv --user works for you.

Thanks @steffenm but we haven’t changed the stack and still running the Xcode 11.7, macos 10.15.6 here.

Hello,

I think the issues you are seeing are likely related to an issue we discovered with the latest stack rebuilds. This should be corrected in the next stack rebuild, but in the meantime we have a workaround!

Please add as script step containing the following:

sudo mv /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pip* /tmp/
brew postinstall python@3.9

If you continue to have issues, please open a ticket with support!https://support.bitrise.io/hc/en-us

Sorry for the inconvenience -
cathy

Thanks @cathy.harmon. How does it work: How often are the stacks rebuild? When will the next rebuild happen?

hi, we’re experiencing the same issue. is there any expectation when the stacks will be rebuilt and the issue resolved? also, will this be only for the newest stacks (i.e.Xcode 12.5.x, on macOS 11.2 (Big Sur)) or will all stacks receive this fix?

Hi there :wave:

Stacks are usually rebuild at their weekly updates, meaning they normally rebuild at the end of every week, though there are times when there is a blocking issue that can prolong this period.
Let me know if the issue still stands :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.