Use bitrise-cli to build a mobile app like heroku does / A Terminal / Command Line interface for bitrise.io, to manage your apps on bitrise.io right from your terminal / command line

Description of the feature request

I would like to use bitrise-cli to build a mobile app, like heroku does, only using only command line.

ex.: bitrise run --server=bitrise bitrise.yml

Use case / for what or how I would use it

I really like use web ide, like cloud 9, and this will help me a lot.
or integrate it with others pipelines tools, Ex.: Jenkins, Gitlab CI, without pain. I would like to use bitrise as build environment provider.

That’s an awesome idea @fca-dev-tools, thanks for creating the #feature-request! Don’t forget to vote on it to bump its priority! :wink:

1 Like

Do you have a list of actions you’d like to be able to perform from the CLI?

Asking because we have a “work in progress” plugin which allows a couple of things now. It’s open source and can be found at: https://github.com/bitrise-core/bitrise-plugins-io

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bitrise Plugins :io - Command Line / Terminal interface for bitrise.io to manage your apps on bitrise.io right from your terminal / command line

@fca-dev-tools I had some time to work on the related tool/plugin and started to publish the progress, if you’re interested (feel free to send feedback! :wink: ):

A Terminal / Command Line interface for bitrise.io, to manage your apps on bitrise.io right from your terminal / command line.

Source code: https://github.com/bitrise-core/bitrise-plugins-io

Hi Viktor,

Sorry for my delay, I am was migrating my app to your platform.

So… I believe it is a lot of commands to perform the task…
Originally I had imagine the workflow like this…

1. Open android studio or ios create a hello world app
  2. Create bitrise.yml on the root of the repo
  3. Create a template project with my p12 or jks or secrets pre installed and get my push url
  4. git remote add bitrise https://bitrise.io// <==(push url)
  5. git push bitrise primary

6) wget

but now, knowing better bitrise I imagined this workflow…

bitrise-plugins-io update-workflow --file bitrise.yml --project id
bitrise-plugins-io update-certificate
bitrise-plugins-io update-var
bitrise-plugins-io build --schema primary --sync --showlogs
bitrise-plugins-io build status --build-id
bitrise-plugins-io logs --build-id
bitrise-plugins-io artfacts --build-id

Thanks your attention.

Well, it’s most about:

That’s what you don’t need with bitrise :wink: You connect your GitHub/Bitbucket/GitLab/Gogs/… repository to bitrise.io and that’s all. You don’t need to push into our git repo like you do on Heroku, you push into your own repo which will start a build on bitrise.io automatically (if you allowed bitrise.io to add a webhook to your git service, or if you configure a webhook yourself).

At this point we don’t plan to have a separate bitrise repository like what you described, but one thing is certainly missing - to be able to register a repository from the terminal / cli. I think that’s pretty much what you’re after, as once the app/repo is configured on bitrise.io (including a webhook - Redirecting… - Bitrise Docs ) then you just work in your repository, push commits there, and it’ll trigger the builds for you.

Indeed. I’d argue this is not that different how you do it on Heroku, e.g. if you want to set an environment variable on Heroku you do that via a separate heroku config:set ENVVAR=val call - it’d be similar on bitrise with e.g. the certificates.

If you have any questions or feedback just let me know! :wink:

Quick update: I decided to move the generic update topic related to the CLI interface back to: Bitrise Plugins :io - Command Line / Terminal interface for bitrise.io to manage your apps on bitrise.io right from your terminal / command line

We’ll keep this #feature-request dedicated for the “create a new app on bitrise.io” feature / flow, and everything else that’s going on with the plugin can be followed in the other thread.