How to set app version and version description when using the "Deploy to App Store Connect with Deliver" step?

I’ve been trying to create a “deploy” workflow where when run, it will fully publish the build to the App Store. I am very new to CI/CD so I could use some help! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

workflows:
  publish:
    steps:
    - activate-ssh-key@4:
        run_if: '{{getenv "SSH_RSA_PRIVATE_KEY" | ne ""}}'
    - git-clone@6: {}
    - cache-pull@2: {}
    - certificate-and-profile-installer@1: {}
    - cocoapods-install@2: {}
    - xcode-archive@4:
        inputs:
        - distribution_method: app-store
        - automatic_code_signing: api-key
    - deploy-to-itunesconnect-deliver@2:
        inputs:
        - app_password: "$APPLE_APP_SPECIFIC_PASSWORD"
        - password: "$APPLE_PASSWORD"
        - submit_for_review: 'yes'
        - app_id: "$BITRISE_APPLE_ID"
        - bundle_id: "$BITRISE_APP_BUNDLE_ID"
        - skip_metadata: 'no'
        - itunescon_user: "$APPLE_EMAIL"
    - deploy-to-bitrise-io@2: {}
    - cache-push@2: {}

What I don’t know is;

1. how to set and create the new app version without needing to create it from App Store Connect
  2. how to set the description of the said new version
  3. if everything works out, what exactly happens? does the new version get to a “Waiting for review” state?

Thanks in advance! :grin:

Hi @CastAsHuman! These are great questions, thanks for asking them.

1. The value of your App Version is taken from your info.plist file. There are a number of methods, to handle this, you can read about our recommended one here: Build numbering and app versioning - Bitrise Docs
  2. Description is one of the metadata elements you can upload with this step. It basically involves having a description.txt file in the right place, but you can find the relevant docs for setting this up here: upload_to_app_store - fastlane docs
  3. That is correct, as long as submit_for_review is yes the app should be in a waiting for review state after deployed.