Android APK signing returns "java.util.zip.ZipException: ZipFile invalid LOC header (bad signature)" error

Bitrise Build Issue Report template

Description of the issue

I’m trying to sign an APK with the sign-apk step (1.7.2). This workflow would sign and release the APK through Firebase App Distribution for internal testing. I already built several other workflows where I’m signing the AAB with this step and I haven’t encountered this issue yet. Furthermore, this workflow was copied from an already working one and I don’t think I’ve messed up any of the configs.

Every time the workflow tries to sign the APK, it exits with the following error message:
Failed to sign Build Artifact, error: [jarsigner: unable to sign jar: java.util.zip.ZipException: ZipFile invalid LOC header (bad signature)

Environment:

Where did the issue happen?

Bitrise.io, Android & Docker, on Ubuntu 16.04

Which build Step causes the issue and which version of the step?

Sign APK 1.7.2

Reproducibility

You can reproduce this issue with the following settings:

- android-build@0:
    inputs:
    - variant: stagingRelease
- sign-apk@1:
    inputs:
    - android_app: "$BITRISE_APK_PATH"
    - verbose_log: 'true'
    - debuggable_permitted: 'false'
    - output_name: app-name-redacted-staging-release-signed
    is_always_run: true

This issue occurs every time.

Local reproduction: Linux / Android (docker based) stack builds

I have no experience with local building so I can not comment on this, unfortunately.

Build log

Please copy paste the build’s bitrise.io URL here (or if the issue happens somewhere else then the full logs), or if you can’t share the url / log here then send the url or full log through a private channel (e.g. email - https://www.bitrise.io/contact ), with a link to the related Discuss issue.

I can’t share the log publicly but I will send it through the private channels if required.

Can I get official support on this guys? I feel like this is a Bitrise build issue and not me messing up the almost identical settings…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @augmentum
Thank you for reaching to Bitrise Support.
Sorry for the late reply on the thread.
Can you let me know if this is still an issue?
Also, If you could send the build URL with support access enabled if you want us to look at the issue?

Thanks
Chaitanya

Hi @chaitanya.tanna

Sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday. The issue still persists, I’ll send you the access and build URLs right away, in a different reply.

Hi @chaitanya.tanna

I’ve enabled Bitrise Support user for the project in question. I’ve also ran a quick build with the specified parameters which, of course, failed.

Here is the build URL:

I hope this is what you meant by build URL and support access.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Roland

Hi @augmentum
Thank you for update with the build URL.
I looked at your issue and it seems we had quite a few others with the similar issue.
We have a workaround mentioned on this GitHub link - https://github.com/bitrise-steplib/steps-sign-apk/issues/49

Can you please implement the workaround and see if that resolves your issue?

Thanks
Chaitanya