How to upgrade spec of machine or use many cores for building

My project was aborted due to over limit build time(45 min.) So I’m thinking upgrade building machine spec. Can I do it?
Or can I do this command?
defaults write com.apple.dt.Xcode IDEBuildOperationMaxNumberOfConcurrentCompileTasks <Number of CPU core>

Hi @yukidoi,

In general there are a few options:

1. If you know a trick which could help speed up the build, e.g. the one you mentioned (defaults write com.apple.dt.Xcode IDEBuildOperationMaxNumberOfConcurrentCompileTasks <Number of CPU core>) you can do that with a Script step usually.
  2. If your build exceeds 45 mins, feel free to ping us and we can bump the limit for you, either temporarily (to help you with debugging, how to get it under 45 mins) or permanently (when required, but in general keeping the build time under 45 mins is better than just bumping the limit, it helps with the overall productivity).
  3. We now have a new, more powerful configuration option available, in private beta right now (let us know if you’d like to try it!), but that might not help that much if your build is not CPU or RAM limited (the new configs have either faster CPU - in case of Mac - or double CPU cores - in case of Linux/Android stacks, and double the RAM of the base/current configs). It depends on the project / what you do during the build / what tools you use, we saw incredible speed ups for some projects and negligible for others. Important to note that once this new High Perf config is publicly available it will cost more than the current/standard configs.

If you have any questions, just let us know!

2 Likes

Hi @viktorbenei
Thank you for you reply.
I’m going to do 1 and other that reduce building time.

Sounds good, if you’d have any questions feel free to ask @yukidoi!

@viktorbenei How many CPU cores does building machine of Bitrise have? I’m going to use the number for default write ~

The Mac build VMs have 2 CPUs

@viktorbenei Thank you.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Fastlane hang/timeout on macOS Sierra stacks

Hi Viktor,

I’m interested in this more powerful machine configuration. Is there any way for us to apply in this private beta?

1 Like

Sure, no problem at all @dvdchr-tvlk. It’s actually in public (beta?) now, you can see it on the Pricing page too as the “Elite” plan.

If you’re interested in a trial, just send us an email / onsite chat message with your Organization’s URL (this config can only be activated for Organizations right now).

Oh nice!

Thanks for the info :grinning:

1 Like

Our Workflows are currently running on Macs with the specs below (Standard Machines). We are running Xcode UI test on Simulators and those tend to demand lots of resources with that said we are wondering if we can be upgrade to a more robust machine. A machine that allows us to run test in parallel on four simulator. Thanks

Standard Machines
Name|Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Model Identifier|MacPro6,1
Processor|Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2

Hi @ericmar!

Please reach out to our sales team here: Contact us they will help you a fitting solution :slight_smile: