Permission denied .config folder

I am using the hybrid stack (stable) and I am suddenly getting errors during normal build activities like bower:

Error: EACCES: permission denied, open β€˜/Users/vagrant/.config/configstore/bower-github.json’

and

β”‚ npm update check failed β”‚
β”‚ Try running with sudo or get access β”‚
β”‚ to the local update config store via β”‚
β”‚ sudo chown -R $USER:$(id -gn $USER) /Users/vagrant/.config β”‚

I even executed a rebuild on a build which was working on Friday.

I believe there was an update to the stack on 6/2 and this seems related. Can you verify the permissions on /Users/vagrant/.config ?

Hi,
sorry for the inconveniences, could you please clarify which Bitrise stack do you use exactly (you can find it in the stack selector on the WORKFLOW EDITOR tab)?
Also please attach your failed build url, to let me have a look at the full context.

1 Like

Sure seems to be related to the stack. I changed the stack to Previous Hybrid (Xamarin, Ionic, …) on macOS, includes Visual Studio for Mac, Stable channel and it is working now.

The stack that was causing issue is Hybrid (Xamarin, Ionic, …) on macOS, includes Visual Studio for Mac, Stable channel

A sample build url showing the issue:

I would prefer to remain on β€œstable” instead of β€œprevious” so that this issue is just not kicked down the road :slight_smile:

thanks for your help!

Hi,

on the: Hybrid (Xamarin, Ionic, …) on macOS, includes Visual Studio for Mac, Stable channel we have npm@6.1.0 installed

on the: Previous Hybrid (Xamarin, Ionic, …) on macOS, includes Visual Studio for Mac, Stable channel we have npm@5.5.1installed

I think the issue is related to the npm version difference.

Could you please try to run your build on the Hybrid (Xamarin, Ionic, …) on macOS, includes Visual Studio for Mac, Stable channel stack and downgrade the npm version, by using the npm step with the command: install -g npm@5.5.1?

I am actually using n to install Node 8 which installs version 5.0.0 of npm, just as I do when using the β€œprevious” stack. I confirmed in the build log where I output the npm version that it is running 5.0.0

Any further info on this?

Hi @charlesbedrosian,

Official issue report on bower's github and the suggested solution:

sudo chown -R $USER:$GROUP ~/.npm
sudo chown -R $USER:$GROUP ~/.config

You can do this with e.g. a Script step.
Let us know how it goes! :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.