Schedule builds: every 2 weeks, monthly, or hourly!

Hello guys,
I searched for “schedule” but can not find any topics similar to my request so I decided to create a new one.
We’re using Bitrise to schedule beta and production builds, but right now as I can see in Build Configuration, I can only schedule build every “1” week, but it’s quite much for our need. Ideally we want to schedule beta builds every week and production builds every 2 weeks.
What do you think about it?

Awesome idea @thaiduy, thanks for the #feature-request! :wink:

Note/workaround for now, although this requires quite some config outside of Bitrise.io: you can use any scheduler, e.g. cron on a VPS, and the Bitrise.io Build Trigger API to trigger scheduled builds.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply @viktorbenei, I will try your suggestion.

1 Like

Description of the feature request

It’d be nice to schedule jobs that run monthly.

Use case / for what or how I would use it

Infrequent tasks such as updating translations would benefit from running automatically every month.

4 Likes

Feature request
To be able to specify a more fine-grained (cron-like) scheduling.

Use case
Make an API request to a server every two hours.

This might be a bit extreme, but can be an inspiration: https://crontab.guru/

4 Likes

Hey Guys. Any update on this feature request? Our team could greatly benefit from this. Thanks.

2 Likes

hi, i really need this function, i need to run a workflow every 12 minutes and another monthly, is there any update on this?

We try to implement as many feature requests as we can, but we get a lot! Unfortunately, there is no update for this at this time.

One suggestion - you might look at setting up a CRON job or equivalent and use the API to trigger your build.
https://api-docs.bitrise.io/#/builds/build-trigger

Hi Cathy, I really appreciate your response.

Currently in Bitrise when I execute a build using curl, it executes immediately, but what I need is, using parameters to configure that it should not execute immediately, but must wait, for example 10 minutes and then execute the build. this would be a one-time execution. which is different from the recurring executions that are currently in beta.

Using this link is an example of creating a one-time schedule build with curl could be

"build_params": {
"triggers": {
   "Recurrence": {
      "type": "OneTime",
      "startTime": "2020-09-07T14:00:00Z",
      "timeZone": "Pacific Standard Time"
   }
}}

for example using the API for schedule a recurrent build could be:

"build_params": {
"triggers": {
   "Recurrence": {
      "type": "Recurrence",
      "recurrence": {
         "frequency": "Week",
         "interval": 1,
         "schedule": {
            "hours": [
            ],
            "minutes": [
            ],
            "weekDays": [
               "Monday"
            ]
         },
         "startTime": "2020-09-07T14:00:00Z",
         "timeZone": "Pacific Standard Time"
      }
   }
}}
1 Like

Wow - thanks for the additional information and for the example! I agree this would be a great feature and added this update to the feature request. We do have a large number of feature request so I do not know if or when this might happen.

In the meantime, I can only suggest using a scheduler tool to kick the builds off when needed. Not ideal, but the only option I can think of at the moment.

It is sometimes really surprising that Bitrise is lacking such simple features. It is a common practice to use cron job syntax for recurring tasks and all other CI systems I used before have this feature.

Also, I would say this should be configured within the bitrise.yaml. Then having cronjob syntax makes a lot more sense.

2 Likes

Thanks for adding your comments! If you haven’t, be sure to vote for this requests.

Cathy

Has this been supported yet?