Code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK / No profiles for 'com.org.app' were found: Xcode couldn't find any iOS App Development provisioning profiles matching 'com.org.app'

Error in an Xcode step’s output (in an Xcode / xcodebuild log):

Code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK 'iOS 10.3'

or:

No profiles for 'com.org.app' were found: Xcode couldn't find any iOS App Development provisioning profiles matching 'com.org.app'.

The issue is caused by a missing signing file required by Xcode. E.g. Xcode 8+ if managed signing is enabled then even if you do a distribution type archive Xcode still requires a team dev profile too for an initial signing.

Solution: collecting all the required signing files can be really complex. Fortunately we have a tool for that! :wink: Just follow this guide https://devcenter.bitrise.io/ios/code-signing/#collect-the-required-files-with-codesigndoc to run our open source codesigndoc tool on your Mac and upload ALL the files collected/exported by codesigndoc to the app on bitrise.io. That’s all :slight_smile:

Notes:

Please make sure that you have a Certificate and profile installer step in the workflow as described in the guide, as that’s the step which downloads and installs the signing files you upload to bitrise.io! Please also make sure that this step (Certificate and profile installer) is updated to the latest version!

The error is due to a missing development profile, which is still required even for production exports. codesigndoc was designed to find the required base signing files on your Mac and export those automatically for you, so that you don’t have to manually collect and export those.

codesigndoc does not change any of the files on your Mac, it does not delete any file etc., all it does is it copies/exports the files, leaving the original ones intact. Source code of codesigndoc can be found at https://github.com/bitrise-tools/codesigndoc

If you have any questions just let us know! :wink:

Hi Victor,

I still have this issue even after I followed code signing guide. I uploaded all the needed certificates and provisioning profiles. The code signing works fine in the manual mode, when I select the needed profiles in Xcode. But it doesn’t work in the automatic mode, when I turn on “Automatically manage signing”. I tries 2 different approaches – fastlane (sign and gym) and Xcode Archive step, but the result was the same: “Code signing is required for product type ‘Application’ in SDK”. Could you please suggest what am I doing wrong?

@alexander.savonin please create a separate issue, here on discuss.bitrise.io ( #issues:build-issues ) or via the bitrise.io onsite chat (without the full logs it’s impossible to tell what the exact issue is).

Hi, is there a way simply to avoid the requirement of codesigning? I just want to check it actually builds.

Hello there! unfortunately if you want to to build it, you have to sign it.

I was thinking of the following strategies (correct me if I’m still being naive)

• Compile only, not the complete build, but compiling deps + linking, without trying to sign the product as the latest stage
  • Build, but in debug mode were automatic signing can be used easily
  • Use a try-catch in my fastlane bitrise lane, to swallow the error

They all have drawbacks, and I understand their consequences. I’d like to know before making mods if they are going to work, because working on CI reiteratively is really-really time costly.

Hey @jsdario,

Well, you can build your project, the importance is that you will not be able to archive it without signing.

We ran a Xcode test to check this out for you on our public test app here: https://app.bitrise.io/build/239915d7ae73ee29

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Will try to do it using my fastlane setup and share here the output.

1 Like