Add ability to sort / reorder workflows in the Workflow Editor

Currently workflows when created via the website are ordered by creation date. I would like to have the ability to sort them alphabetically or the ability to reorder them via the website.

The workaround today for reordering is to modify the bitrise.yml file directly which is painful and Iā€™m always afraid I would mess up the the file on accident.

Thanks for creating the #feature-request @thon ! :wink:

This would be a nice quickwin imho. For me it would already be really helpful if the dropdowns of the Workflows would be sorted in the frontend. Just went through a bitrise.yml and manual sorted it, which feels a bit awkward :wink:

I definitely agree, and itā€™s on our roadmap to make it easier, although I personally try to push hotkeys+searchbar for quickly switching between workflows instead of ordering them. Something like ā€œCtrl+kā€ would open the workflow list / switcher, with a filter input - type in a few chars of the workflow hit enter and youā€™re done. Roughly :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I found a way to re-order workflows, via small ā€œhackā€.

By renaming workflow, it will end up last in the list. But we donā€™t have to actually rename it. See the steps :point_down:

1. Change anything in workflow so SAVE button appears
  2. Select workflow and click on RENAME, donā€™t change anything, just press ENTER
  3. Now this ā€œrenamedā€ workflow will end up last, do this to other workflows, in order you want to sort workflows.
  4. Hit SAVE and refresh page :tada:

You welcome :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Even just ordering them alphabetically instead of ā€˜creation timeā€™ would help us enormouslyā€¦

Any progress on this? We have a lot of workflows and this would help a lot and should be easy implemented. As stated above even just ordering alphabetically would be very helpfull.

Hi @Toke!

Unfortunately not yet. But I do understand the need, it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the bump and bringing it to our attention again!

2 Likes

+1 shorting a list, even if it is just alphabetical, should be an extremely common practice.

2 Likes

A year laterā€¦ Still nothing on this? I even tried reordering in the yml and pasting it into the web yml editor. It ignored my order

Soo ā€¦ It just got much much MUCH worse! Now the workflows are ordered alphabetically. Which means that all my utility workflows show up first in my workflow editor, and I canā€™t change the order by editing the yml anymore.

Is that supposed to be the final ā€œimprovementā€ ?

Hey everyone!

We decided to sort the workflows automatically for a while now, and decided that we will be closing this thread.

We understand this is not what the original request was for, but during our discovery, we understood the need was for the workflow youā€™re looking for to be easily accessible, over necessarily manually adjusting sorting list.

@villskog thanks for bringing this up, itā€™s a great point. You probably wouldnā€™t want to run a utility workflow all by itself, so thatā€™s not as helpful as it could be. Would moving the utility workflows to the bottom of the list help, or would you still prefer being able to manually sort the order? Let us know please.

The thread will close in a few days, if you feel like this functionality is still missing after that, please consider submitting a new request and explaining us why.

Thanks everyone!

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.